Top Ad unit 728 × 90

.

Stream

WitFlix

Why I Watched 'The Fault in Our Stars' Four Times...and Didn't Mind Paying For It

Yup. I paid to go to the movies to see the popular YA (young adult) book movie adaptation 'The Fault In Our Stars'(book written by John Green. Movie directed by Josh Boone) three times. FOUR times. This is the most I've ever seen a movie in the theaters in the span of a week. This is special. Why? Well let me give you 8 reasons okay? Okay.

1. It's a real love story

Never once during the book or movie experience of The Fault in Our Stars did I feel like the romance was overwhelming. One thing that impressed me about this movie right from the get-go is that the romance between the Hazel Grace Lancaster (played by Shailene Woodley) and Augustus (played by Ansel Egort) feels so real. Unbelievably real. It's amazing how the chemistry between these two in this film just make your heart melt.

image
Source: Image by Entertainment Weekly via clairelaluna

Love is messy, and this film doesn't shy away from showing that. It continuously surprises me the love that they have for each other despite their faults (see what I did there). Bella Swan Hazel Lancaster isn't some perfect damsel-in-distress-who-needs-to-get-laid and Tobias Eaton Augustus Waters isn't a philisophical-mystical-piece-of-man-meat-that-broods-excessively-over-global-warming like you would see in most YA fiction books today. There's no attempt to make the pitfalls of relationships and life-struggles easy, it's all out on display for you to smile, laugh, and cry along with Hazel and Augustus.

And that cannula. The film never forgets to remind you that, like Hazel and Gus, we all have our fatal flaws.


2. It's straightforward

A lot of movies that have come out this year have been really heavy on the CGI (Computer Generated Imagery) and, as a result, left a lot up to the human imagination. Recent summer blockbuster hits such as The Amazing Spiderman 2 (Marc Webb)X-Men: Days of Future Past (Bryan Singer), and Maleficent (Robert Stromberg) heavily rely on the use of computer animation, and backstory knowledge, to portray the full concept of the movie. The Fault in Our Stars felt like a nice, well deserved, break from all of the special effects and superpowers (not that anything is wrong with them). It was good enjoying a flick where there are real people, in real time, dealing with real situations. Proof that reality can sometimes be a bit refreshing. Whether you read the book or not, you can easily follow this movie and enjoy it fully.


3. Excellent filmmaking

Ask anyone who knows me, and they'll tell you about my passion for movies. I'm just fascinated by them. In a time where it's becoming harder and harder to be truly original, The Fault in Our Stars is a needle in a haystack. There's so much to talk about here: Each and every scene in this movie can stand out on it's own and anyone can get the general idea of the overarching concept. There was an excellent use of colors here to help give you a sense of emotion from scene to scene. Even to the finer details such as couples running in the background together when [SPOILER] Gus asks Hazel to go with him on a picnic, or combination of calmer and lighter color hues during a charming scene. All of it was so intentional and so perfect that it helped make the movie that much more impactful.


4. Deceptively Creative

image
Source: Image by Fox 2000, courtesy of Jack Braver

The text message clouds, the floating Gmail email windows, the quirky but fitting soundtrack...all of it fit so well. I've been trying to find some way to do this in real life but sadly the Genies haven't granted my wish (TFiOS reference). Guess I'll just go to Disney...and Epcot Center


5. Better than the book...

Yup. You read that correctly.

This was the first time I've watched a book movie adaptation and walked out each time thoroughly enjoying it more than the book. Don't get me wrong, the book was amazing. It was just so enjoyable to see the book come to life on screen in such a compelling way. The cast was perfect, the feels were still there (all the feels), and the core mechanics of what makes The Fault in Our Stars great is there and presented super well. Every single character of the movie was memorable. Even the waiter in Amsterdam. Your eyes tear up just a little when you hear him say "Oh we've poured all the stars for you tonight".

image
Source: Image found on macandmae

Color me impressed.


6. Stairs

Frickin' stairs.

I've never hated stairs and ladders so much until I watched this movie. It just does THAT good of a job of connecting to you.
[SPOILER ALERT] When Hazel, Augustus and Lidwej go to the Anne Franke House, Hazel feels as if she has to be brave so she climbs up three flights of stairs. THREE. Think I'm crazy? Watch the film and see if you'll ever look at stairs the same again. I dare you. I triple dog dare you.


7. Isaac

Hats off to Natt Wolf for his absolutely terrific acting in the role of Augustus' best friend (who also suffers from an ailment) Isaac. Standing ovation.

image
Source: Image found on TeenLitRocks 

Thinking back on the movie, Isaac was probably the character you saw the least (maybe 5 scenes throughout the entire film) but somehow you never forget him. His character development is amazing and there is never a single dull moment when he's on screen. Witty, funny and dang good at making you sniffle a few times, Isaac is easily one of the best things about my experience watching The Fault in Our Stars.


8. I Can't Stop Caring

I've recommended The Fault in Our Stars to a lot of people and I'm always met with the response "Sure I'll watch it. I don't think I'll cry though, I think people are overreacting".

You know what happens after they watch the movie?

They cried. No scratch that. They bawled. Almost each and every one.

If, by some chance, you're reading this and are not familiar with the people of the Bahamas then there's one thing you need to understand. We're laid back people who laugh at this sort of thing. Horrific things happening in movies usually makes us crack up, and the Bahamian commentary is to die for.

The Fault in Our Stars is one of the first movies I've seen to not only shut Bahamains up, but to make them shed tears of sadness. There was absolute silence during the more solemn scenes and sniffles and tears during the heartbreaking scenes. It amazed me how every time I went to see this movie, there were people broken by this phenomenal story (me included...all three times).

image
Source: Image found on alicemarvels

So do yourself a HUGE favor and go watch this movie. I've paid to see it three times and will probably see it a fourth before it leaves the theatre. You won't regret it. Trust me. Don't forget your box of tissues okay? Okay.
Why I Watched 'The Fault in Our Stars' Four Times...and Didn't Mind Paying For It Reviewed by Craig on 7:11 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

All Rights Reserved by WitFlicks © 2014 - 2015
Powered By Blogger, Designed by Sweetheme

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.